Friday, November 11, 2011

Make It Monday 40 and CFC 28

I've been playing with the featured technique at PTI's Make It Monday, which is to use reverse applique on your card.

I found a small scrap of kraft cardstock, used a PTI apple die to cut three apples, and placed some very old scraps of plaid paper behind the openings.  Over the summer my 6-year old was chasing our dog through the house (big no-no!) when they knocked my sewing machine off the table and onto the floor.  It's not worth the cost of fixing it and I haven't replaced it yet, so no machine sewing for me today.  Instead I pierced holes around each apple using a straight pin.  I distressed the edges of both the kraft panel and the green mat and added brads to the corners.

 


My second card is for both Make It Monday and CAS-ual Fridays, which is to use a tag.  I cut the tag with a Sizzxx die.  The actual die is much longer, but by rolling it partway through my Cuttlebug and then back out, I was able to make it the size I wanted it. For this card, I pierced holes around the apple and hand-stitched with green embroidery floss.  I added a button and more green floss at the top of the tag to finish it.  

Both of these cards ended up having a 'country flavor' which is unusual for me.  I think it was the apples and the stitching that sent me in that direction! :)  At any rate, they will be handy to have when teacher appreciation week rolls around.




It was fun to experiment with new-to-me techniques (the reverse applique, paper piercing, and stitching), and I know I will use them again in the future.  Thanks for visiting!

Supplies:
Paper: PTI kraft, green and patterned scraps from scrap box
Stamps: PTI Communique Curves sentiment
Ink: Versamagic hint of pesto
Others: brads from stash, PTI apple die, button from stash, embroidery floss, Sizzix texture plate, Sizzix tag die


7 comments:

Joyce said...

These are both great. I love the plaid apples. I'm thinking maybe I should make a tag to match my card.

Laura Davis said...

Love these!
Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
Laura

Barb said...

I love the muted tones. I like the pierced holes instead of stitching :)

Suzanne Russell said...

Love the plaid apples! Sorry about the passing of your sewing machine, but this technique is a good replacement. The cute tag on the second card is an unusual die. I like both cards very much. :)

Helen F. said...

Really pretty cards, LOVE the 'stitching', color combinations and the non-traditional apples ;o)

Lisa A. said...

These are sooooo pretty, Ann!!! I LOVE the colors, and that apple die is "sweet"...wonderful cards!!

Jenny said...

Apples, plaid and rustic...sounds like a recipe for a gorgeous card Ann, love your first card especially :)
All my PTI dies are joined together designs....wish they'd stop manufacturing them like that!!
Jenny x