Wednesday, March 2, 2011

OLW 43

Shimmer, not glitter or bling. That's the challenge this week for One Layer Wednesday 43 at Simplicity.

I have one little tub of pearly white twinkling H2Os that I used quite a number of years ago on my Christmas cards. I was considering using Memento Brilliance pearlescent ink, but I decided to use my little tub of twinkling H2Os because truthfully, it hasn't seen the light in at least 5 years! :)

Previously, I had used it to paint a dove in a "Peace on Earth" stamp, so I suppose Christmas was on the brain. Because the pearly white shimmer makes me think of snow, I pulled out one of my oldest stamps, an All Night Media snowman that I have had for at least 14 years.

For the first try, I stamped the snowman up high on the card, colored the scarf, hat, and carrot nose with prismacolor pencils, and then painted the H2Os on the body. I drew a hill with my Sharpie to ground it. I masked the snowman and a rectangle around it and sponged with pale blue ink. Finally, I added a sentiment.


It was okay, but I wasn't loving it. I decided that I liked the look of the snowman better down toward the bottom of the card. It looked more natural to me. I redid the whole thing in that position and just skipped the masking and sponging. I was happier with this result, although now as I look at this post I keep going back on forth as to which I prefer. :)



Usually by the time the first of December rolls around, I haven't made a single Christmas card. Between this and Susan's previous Christmas challenge, it's nice to have a head start!

Supplies:
Stamps: All Night Media snowman, Hero Arts sentiment
Ink: Stazon black, Versamagic Aspen Mist for sponging
Paper: PTI white
Other: twinkling H2Os, Prismacolor pencils

10 comments:

G Peplow said...

Hi there, I agree wholeheartedly, second card is much improved and is excellent. Always good to have Christmas cards ready:0) xxx

Carol said...

I like both of your cards, but, have to admit I like the second one better. You have perfectly placed the little guy...he is just adorable!

Jenny said...

I have to say I can't decide between them they are both just lovely and that shimmer is great. The OLW challenge is one I must take up to. Thanks for sharing X

Cheryl said...

I have to agree with the other gals. Both are cute, however the second is my favorite! I just love the shimmer in his belly...

Kathyk said...

Both are great, I do prefer the second but maybe a third option would be to place the snowman lower and change the positioning and shape of the masked area - just a thought and, potentially, a third Christmas card!!!!

Kathyk

Bonnie said...

I love both cards, but my favorite is the first one. The sponging makes Mr. Snowman stand out a bit I think. Isn't it great to get 2 more Christmas cards done?

ThinkInk Creative said...

I prefer the 2nd one. That white-on-white effect brings out the shimmer more, in my opinion anyway. That said, I'd be happy to receive either card which is to say, they are both good.
cheers,
Malyn

Susan said...

Both cards are so pretty. I can't make up my mind which I like better...maybe the first...no..the second...no...Oh My! I love them both!!

Suze Bain said...

What a great card, not sure which one I like best - think maybe the wintry sky effect in the first one.

Susan Raihala said...

Well, aren't you the adventurer...digging into the stash and finding all sorts of neglected goodness! The shimmer of the paint is simply divine, and you did a great job on both cards. I don't have a favorite...both work beautifully!